Friday, July 18, 2008

We Are Going to Proceed...

I would have updated much sooner than this re: our appointment on Thursday, but as it turns out, I had to literally force myself to go due to a raging virus I woke up with early on Thursday morning. I'll spare you the details (you really don't want to know), but suffice to say that today is the first time I've been able to hold anything down since then. It was horrible, but I refused to cancel the appointment because I didn't know when L. & I would be able to coordinate schedules again.

Essentially, we met with a nice, matter-of-fact doctor who presented us with both sides of IVF. She explained why it is controversial in some respects, and she encouraged us to consider it from all sides before we proceed. I liked this about her, along with the fact that she took the time to draw us a diagram of the process we're talking about undergoing. She also expressed that there were several tests we would undergo next month, so we won't be able to begin the process officially until September. Ultimately, she said that we have good odds since I'm under 35, and that IVF is a reasonable "next step" in our situation.

So, we're going to do this. We need to call and get some testing scheduled next week, but we've decided that this is the best "next step" for us.

L. made a poignant comment on our way home from the appointment as we were discussing the pros/cons of IVF. He said that, often, children are brought into more stable family environments when they're born to people in their thirties. He thinks that perhaps God gave the world IVF to help those of us who are having a little difficulty doing so.

If this experience has taught me anything so far, it's that I am absolutely, positively married to an incredible man.

And, we are going to proceed together.

5 comments:

mommy of girls said...

I have been praying and will daily do so as you take the next step on the journey to the child of your heart. I pray that God will bless your womb with a baby that you can raise to glorify Him. I love you, doll!

Penny said...

My consultation left me pretty excited too. It's a positive thing to have someone say "good odds" to you, you know?

Lauren said...

Best of luck to you! Sounds like this is the right "next step" for you.

I Believe in Miracles said...

Sweet news!! I pray that this next step goes smoothly. Glad to hear someone presented both sides of the coin. That's really great.

Leslee said...

Good luck! Isn't it great to realize that there's no one better to go through this with than your husband? I think of that everyday!!

Leslee